EFCC may probe Obasanjo
By Geoffrey Ekenna Punch Newspaper, 23rd Novermber 2007
There were indications on Thursday that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission might have started investigations into the activities of former President Olusegun Obasanjo while in office, following a petition submitted by a non-governmental organisation, Coalition against Corrupt Leaders on November 14.
Our correspondent gathered that the EFCC on Tuesday, November 20, invited the Chairman of CACOL, Mr. Debo Adeniran, to give a statement on the petition submitted by his group. According to Adeniran, when he arrived at the Awolowo Road office of the agency, he was ushered into room EG 4, where he tendered a written statement to the agency.
He said on his delegation were the acting Secretary General of CACOL, Mr. Declan Ihekaire, the Director of Mobilisation, Mr. Samson Olayiwola and the Director of Finance, Mr. Kola Odepeju, among others. In a statement made available to our correspondent on Thursday, Adeniran said, ”The offic er in-charge who pleaded anonymity assured the delegation that the petition was being given a priority treatment. He said a file had been opened on the case and that every allegation contained in the petition would be thoroughly investigated in order not to leave room for reasonable doubts that may lead to the case being thrown out of the court” Adeniran said he reiterated the group‘s position that the former president used his office to acquire fund illegally.
He said, “part of the statement to the EFCC reads, ” Chief Obasanjo was indicted in the PTDF scandal by the Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba led committee; Chief Orji Kalu (former Governor of Abia State), confirmed that he gave the former President One million Dollars for his campaign in 1999, while the NEPA/PHCN gulped over N521bn and none has anything to show for the money invested in them” The group further informed the EFCC to investigate the state of businesses of the former President before he mounted the saddle in 1999 and when he left office in 2007. Efforts to reach the EFCC spokesman, Mr. Osita Nwaja to confirm if the investigation had actually started proved abortive.
After calling him several times on his mobile phone, a text message sent to him by our correspondent was ignored to as at press time. But an official of the agency, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, confirmed to our correspondent that Adeniran made a statement to the agency on Tuesday. When asked if he was aware of Adeniran‘s invitation, he said, ”I am aware he made statement of Tuesday. But I think you should call Mr. Nwaja to confirm.”